[3830] SS SSB VY1EI SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vy1ei@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VY1EI SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 06:58:26 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VY1EI
Operator(s): VY1EI
Station: VY1EI

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Yukon
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   19
   20:  186
   15:  331
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

Major technical problems caused me to lose the first two hours on the contest. A
half hour before the start I had infinite SWR on my radio. A quick look with the
binoculars at the yagi spotted a broken braid connection to the yagi. So I
frantically cranked the yagi down, then folded it over and started working on
the connection in minus 15 degrees. Nothing I did seemed to lower the SWR so
after an hour and half I gave up and connected the vertical, knowing that I'd
be lucky to get 100 QSOs for the entire contest. I got the same problem with
the vertical so right away I knew I had a radio problem. I swapped in the
backup radio and then Shebang, I'm good. So I connected up the Yagi, cranked it
back up to 60 feet, and had an instant pileup.

The first three hours always have the best QSO rates. I lost about 150
potential  QSOs with the downtime so I lost alot but it was great to be in the
fray. I thought I was out.

It seemed like there were more contestants out there, alot more than last year.
Band condx on 20M and 15M were great. Many, many stations were booming in at
20db over. It was impossible to find any clear air on 20M and I had a hard time
getting spotted on 20M. Stations on the west coast have their beams pointed east
and east coast stations have their beams pointed west so until I get spotted,
its a slog. Usually after 5 QSOs someone spots me and then things get going but
20M was so packed I couldn't get it going. Nothing was happening on 40M or 80M.

On sunday I had a great 3 hour run on 15M, including one 85 QSO hour. That beat
my first hour on Sunday on 20M. 15M had more room and the spots kept coming.

Seems like NT wasn't a section in short supply so that's good.

Eric
VY1EI
www.vy1ei.ca