[3830] SS SSB K6LL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ll@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K6LL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:31:24 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 21

------------
  160:
   80:   95
   40:  474
   20:  784
   15:  255
   10:
------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I hate to say it, but I think I have gotten too old to really enjoy competing
seriously in Phone SS. The QRM is miserable, and my little backyard antennas at
48' really struggle to hold a run frequency. On Sunday afternoon I found myself
looking at the clock and wishing that it would advance faster so the pain would
be over.

With about four hours of op time left, I stupidly hot-switched the Six-Pak
antenna switch, which caused a loud bang in the right-hand amplifier. The amp's
fuses blew, and when I tried to restart it, a cloud of smoke and stink blew out
of the dual exhausts of the 4cx800's. The cloud of smoke briefly formed itself
into a large dollar sign before dissipating. The Six-Pak didn't work any more
either.

I operated for another hour using the left-hand setup, with Six-Pak bypassed,
but I was pretty bummed out about the whole deal, and quit early. I know that
decision will probably be costly in the standings, but at that point I didn't
care, and I don't regret it today either.

I think that from now on I will just play around in Phone SS for a few hours.

There were some high points, though. It was nice to work the SS regulars, and
it was nice to see the broad 15 meter opening.

73

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.