[3830] SS SSB K4VV Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K4VV Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:24:55 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K4VV
Operator(s): K4VV, WX3B
Station: K4VV

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 21

------------
  160:    1
   80:  586
   40:  512
   20:  317
   15:  220
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

First, a very heartfelt thank you to Jack and Sharon Hammett for giving me this
GREAT opportunity to be one of the first to test drive Jackâ??s new
super-station!

Another large thank you goes to Mike, W0YR who took Jackâ??s station and
started fixing all the things that needed attention ....ranging from stack
match boxesâ?¦.to rotor control, and my favorite project, building a
differential T match for the 80m (CW) dipole so that it could comfortably stay
a CW dipole while we operated it in the SSB band with a PERFECT match.

As Mike said in his posting, he may not have operated that long, but he put in
hundreds of hours at K4VV in preparation for the grand SS event.

The stated goal for the weekend was an interesting one â?? and I believed we
may have achieved it.

I wanted to have team K4VV put more Sweepstakes SSB points out of his station
than any other â??highly motivated operationâ??, by running 3 parallel
operations.

This would also accomplish one of K4VVâ??s goals, which was to see how his
station would operate when it was stress tested with 3 simultaneous
transmitters on various bands throughout the weekend.

I am pleased to report that we had virtually zero defects/issues â?? and one of
the most amazing things I learned was how you can operate 3 transmitters from
one tower without  any significant inter-station interference.  This was a
total surprise to me.

Mike, W0YRâ??s interface of the top ten band decoders with the dunestar
selectable band-pass filters did their job!

Our operating team consisted of WX3B, K3WI and N8IVN, with assistance from K4VV
and W0YR.

After being slapped on the back (read: encouraged) by NI1N to unroll a 600 foot
beverage,  I violated my own prime directive about not doing station work right
before a contest.

Jack, Bill and I took that 600â?? walk and unrolled the gifts provided by Kam,
N3KS for a reversible beverage.  The antenna worked so well, we even used it on
the HIGH bands at times, and wished we could have shared it on more than one
operating position (it was originally for the 80m operator, however we quickly
discovered it worked on 40â?¦.20, and 15).

Our original operating mission was to have Bill, K3WI and I flip-flop the hot
bands while Dennis, N8IVN took his turn on the off bands (a pretty tough
assignment, all in the name of beating NCCC!).

By 4:00am, I went to bed, and thatâ??s when N8IVN got on 40â?¦.and stayed
thereâ?¦.almost the entire day on Sunday, with Bill on 20, and me on 15.   Yes,
15 may be s suckers band, however there were enough sunspots and a 7/7/7 stack
so that it was actually relaxing, fun, and of course zero QRM most of the time.
  When Bill and Dennis were finished with their operations, I took turns on 80,
then 40 and had a great run right as the contest ended.

I love it when a plan comes together!  Congratulations to Bill, K3WI for an
outstanding effort â?? remember that Bill often had the second best band â??
especially on Sunday.

Very strong work also done by Dennis, N8IVN â?? he started off on 15 (which was
excellent at the beginning of the contest) â?? and when that died â?? he got
marooned on 160 meters yet he somehow managed to make 73 QSOs.    Once Dennis
got on 40, he got into the â??zoneâ??.   Dennis  had about 200 QSOs in the log
when I went to bed, and about 600 when I got back into the shack. ..and my
favorite part of hearing the run from across the room was listening to him
chase intruders off his run frequency.

Thanks again to Jack and Sharon for building the station, and organizing the
effort so we could all have such a GREAT weekend!
73,
Jim  WX3B for team K4VV

Results by call sign:

2009 Sweepstakes SSB at Team K4VV

Station #1:  K4VV - Operators K4VV and WX3B

        QSOs    Sections        Score
160     1       0
80      586     11
40      512     27
20      317     40
15      220     2
10      0       0

Total   1636    80      261,760

Station #2:  W4XDX - Operators W0YR and K3WI

        QSOs    Sections        Score
160     0       0
80      302     9
40      574     36