[3830] CQWW CW NS3T SOSB/80 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NS3T SOSB/80 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:59:55 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NS3T
Operator(s): NS3T
Station: NS3T

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:  136    16       59
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I don't think I have ever had that many stations CQ in my face before.  I guess
we had more one-way propagation on 80 meters, just like we did between NA and
EU in this year's CQ WW SSB test, because lots of stations just didn't hear
me.

I didn't have the time for an all-band entry because of the usual family
schedule on Thanksgiving weekend, so I was going to opt for either 160 or 80
meters.

It was obvious right away that 160 wasn't going to yield anything, as I
couldn't get some VE's to copy me - and I wasn't able to get a "?" out of
KV4FZ, who was a one-call-and-in-the-log QSO just a few weeks ago for the ARRL
CW Sweepstakes...so I decided to do 80 meters.

My little 100 watt signal did its best, but when I heard K3LR and W3LPL getting
asked for multiple repeats, the propagation just wasn't that great for me on
80.

The highlights were many:
* The rush from staying up all night Friday
* The howling pileups on 80 for a station that I can't even hear
* The reward for not going to bed - grabbing OY1CT before he gets spotted
* Stumbling on NL7Z and ZM1A begging for QSO's
* Getting TF4X on Sunday morning for a double mult
* Finally getting a JA on 80 soon after sunrise
* The satisfaction of knowing that every contact was a result of phased
antennas that I built from scratch in my suburban backyard

The lowlights were many too:
* You are 40 over 9 - why can't you hear me??
* Not being able to get a ? out of either NL7Z or ZM1A
* Add UA9CLB and VK6HD to that list
* Taking a dozen repeats for zone 14 stations to get my call
* Getting 100 fewer QSO's and 22 less mults than my last SOSB 80 in 2007

I worked 16 zones.  The heard but not worked list included zones 1, 6, 17, 20,
29, 32, 35 and 38.  I made another 100 or so QSO's on the other bands for fun
during daylight hours.  Thanks for those as well.

Oh well.  Can't wait for CQ WW 2010 so I can do it again.

73 Jamie NS3T
http://www.radio-sport.net
Your home for ham radio contest news