[3830] CQWW CW VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1ZM@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VY2ZM(K1ZM) SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 04:13:41 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:
   80: 2304    29      109
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2304    29      109  Total Score = 864,109

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was alot of fun despite that it seems lowband condx are on the downward
side of the curve now.  (See KT1V's 160m post which I would have to agree with
- the sheer volume of stations is down from 2006 when I did this last and the
Long Path propagation seemed down as well at my sunset into SE Asia).

Overall I am pleased with how things worked though as my numbers compared
pretty well with the big US multis - you get a sense of how you have done by
looking at how they did by way of comparison - in order to assess how you
really did in the end.

Congrats to EA8CMX - that's a huge score.  D4, CN2, EA8 or CT3 are the places
to be in a lowband contest these days - that's for sure....

I did hear a few things that I missed - no chance on most of them really but
here they are:

VU2PTT - zone 22 - early working EU - never heard him calling a CQ.
YB1CCF - zone 28 - loud at 2145z on the LONGPATH - but could not raise him.
HS0ZEE - zone 26 - calling CQ but not hearing most of the EU callers - so no
chance for me at all on this one.
UA0ZAM and UA0DC - zone 19 (I should have managed UA0ZAM) but no cigar!
HK1AA - heard running around calling guys - but I never could find him CQ'ing
TA2KK and TA3AX - no chance at 1930z through their EU pileups.

I heard JA's two hours after my sunrise - JA3YBK and JH1OGC were really loud
then (till 1330z - and I also heard a ZONE 27 sign his report at 1244z - but
not sure who that was.)

High points - and there were surely alot of them:

Working my first Europeans at 1737z and 1749z each afternoon.
Snagging a UA9 at 1930z - that's really early.
Averaging over 150 qso's per hour until 0800z the first night.
Working VK9XW on the LONG path on Sunday afternoon - that was awesome to do.
Snagging 4K9W and 4L2M through their EU piles!
Having 4O3A find me near the end - (Never heard him CQ'ing)
Having YA9YAB in zone 18 call me 30 mins after my SR on Saturday morning.
Having VK6BN call in 1.5 hours after my SR time on Sunday morning!
Working 2 Alaskan stations - this never happens (and then having them both call
in again and DUPE me later!)  Jeez...when it rains it pours.

I never heard a ZONE 12 - not much from Africa either - but thanks to Bernie
ZS4TX for finding me for a zone 38 on Saturday morning at his SR peak.
C91LW was strong also near his SR on Sunday morning.

Lately there is vy little else from Africa and the Indian Ocean - it's not like
it was in the 70's and 80's when quite a few mults would show up in a CQWW
contest....but that's how it is these days.

Mainly, though, I had alot of fun and the new antenna seemed to work well and
that's what it is all about.  Nice also to see so many old friends too....see
you in the next one.

73 JEFF  VY2ZM (now living on PEI on a permanent basis - at long last!)

K1ZM@aol.com