[3830] CQWW CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4zfe@g4zfe.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 9M2CNC(G4ZFE) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 06:48:22 -0800

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

Station (same as last year)

Elecraft K3
SPE Expert amp

10/15/20 - Force 12 C3-S at 12m
40 - Cushcraft D-40 at 13m
80 - HF2V with 48 radials

My aim was to better last year's score and this was just achieved (2.5 mill
versus 2.2 million)

Highs
- 40m was in great shape with no Dragon (Chinese OTHR). Although the radar was
active just below the band!
- Exotic DX answering my CQs

Lows
- 20m closing very early both nights
- 15m never opening fully
- My rusty CW - aplogies to those who I mis-read their callsigns. I will take a
course of Morse Runner before the next event
- The last hour - this is usually one of the best parts of the contest - 20m
beaming US with a packet pileup of big gun US stations. This year I had local
noise on the SP heading (a local lawn mower) so I went LP which had no noise.
This was a disaster with a mix of US SP and LP signals that made it slow to
read callsigns. Apologies to those I couldn't work.

160m
No space for any antennas.

80m
Only S&P. I was able to work most stations that I could hear. I spent some time
trying to get a co-ax RX loop working but couldn't find the correct capacitance
to get it tuned. A project for winter.

40m
Quiet band and no OTHR! What more could I want. Answer is some space on the
band - too many split operations on 40m this year. It seems every year more
stations operate split.

Some of my 40m pileups were truly unruly considering three other 9M2s were
active in the contest. Maybe I should try split next year as well :-)

20m
Quiet band but closed early. Fewer NA stations were worked this year and very
little from the East Coast.

15m
Sunday was better to EU but still not enough to allow any decent score on the
band.

10m
Never opened to EU. It was interesting listening to VK9XW (1000 miles south of
me) working EU that I couldn't detect.

Livescores
This is fun but I wish more DX would take part. I got whipped as usual but it
encourages me to stay in the chair when things are quiet (quiet often in 9M2
during the day).

QSOs will be uploaded to LoTW when I return to the UK. QSL via G4ZFE.

Thank you for the QSOs

73 de Rich, G4ZFE/9M2CNC/HS0ZGZ