[3830] CQWW CW W6YI(N6MJ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dann6mj@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W6YI(N6MJ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:30:06 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6YI
Operator(s): N6MJ
Station: W6YI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R

  160:   69    16       28
   80:  372    29       80
   40: 1090    37      117
   20:  815    35      106
   15:  272    28       71
   10:   46    13       16
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks again to Jim, W6YI for the use of his excellent station.

Conditions from W6 were only slightly better than last year.  We had some rain
come through during the weekend, which caused some bad rain static on the high
antennas, but I dont think it cost me very many q's.  Also, the power went out
on Sunday morning.  I happened to be asleep at the time, and by the time I woke
up the power was back on again.  Jim had the generator up and running just in
case, but didnt need it this time.

Band by band:

160m :  Not as good as last year.  I only worked 3 EU this year (2 YL's and an
ES) and just a handful of JA's.  I could have worked more JA's if I tried a
little harder, but the rate was never very good.

80m :   Not nearly as good as last year.  Conditions were down to EU for most
of the contest compared to last year.  There was one exception however.  On
Saturday night from 07 to 08z I had my first ever EU run on 80m.  In all my
years of contesting, ive never had a EU call me on 80.  I had about 60 of them
call me that hour.  That is one of those things that I will remember for a very
long time.  Long path was better this year than last, but no real good mults.

40m :  A little better than last year.  I never had any real EU runs on the
short path.  Long path both mornings were fantastic.  I missed zones 22, 34 and
40, but I heard all 3 of them.  I called VU2JOS who had a good signal, but just
got a few ?'s in response.  Heard TF3GX Long path on saturday, but couldnt
raise him.  Also heard SU9HP working K7GK with a big signal long path, and
tried CQing a few KC's up but couldnt raise him.

20m :  Very dissapointed in the 20m numbers.  The EU opening both mornings only
lasted about 2 hours, and part of that time was spent on 40m.  I didnt work zone
16 until about 21z on sunday when I found RM3F.  I never heard any other zone 16
stations the whole contest on 20m.  Also somehow managed to miss zone 26.

15m :  Much better openings than last year, but no real runs.  Last year I only
had 1 EU qso, and this year I had about 10 q's.  Only had 1 short run to JA for
about an hour on saturday.  Mults were way up from last year.

10m :  Last year I only worked K6NA and LU1HF.  This year we actually had a
decent opening to SA along with a few caribbean stations.  Only thing out of
the pacific was KH6 and ZL.

The score is up a bit from last year.  Thanks to N2IC and K7GK for some good
competition from the west coast.  I wish there were some more serious SOAB
efforts from out here!

73,

Dan N6MJ