[3830] CQWW CW KT8K SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KT8K SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 07:58:31 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: MI (EN82cg)
Operating Time (hrs): ~20

  160:    0
   80:    4
   40:   31
   20:  140
   15:   69
   10:    0
------------------------------
Total:  244   120       45  Total Score = 109,560

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: Tentec Orion
Antennas: 20/40/80m inverted vee at 60', 10/15/20 vertical dipole at 60', 540+
foot horizontal loop fed with twin lead and an autotuner, 40m near-vertical
dipole, K9AY loop tuned for 80m
Logging: N1MM

>From the start it was REALLY tough going, and my worst result in several years.
 All bands were down a bit, just enough that most of the time the response to my
call was, at best, a question mark followed by "CQ test".  I tried to run a few
times, ten minutes or so each, and got 1 QSO from it.  At least 4 times I went
over a half hour without a QSO.  I got discouraged and burned out and took a
bunch of time off Saturday afternoon and evening.  At a couple of points I was
ready to give up contesting forever ... no chance of big antennas or running
much power on a city lot.  I persevered and went back at it.

Some bright spots, though, included more activity in Africa, hearing my first
ever callsign from Madagascar, and hearing the EU superstations on 40m at
1:30PM local (6:30Z) on Sunday.  I also heard those same stations on 20m hours
after the band had gone almost completely dead on both nights - amazing.  I can
only dream of having antennas like that.  I guess I'll take my dreams and go
play MorseRunner some more ...

Thanks to all who listened hard for me.  There were a lot of top notch ops on,
as usual, and I did my best to be one of them.  I'm looking forward to better
propagation and the next contest.  Best rx & 73 to all de kt8k - Tim