[3830] CQWW CW G4EDG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4edg@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW G4EDG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 05:49:03 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G4EDG
Operator(s): G4EDG
Station: G4EDG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Exeter
Operating Time (hrs): 43

  160:   54     4       33
   80:  179     9       49
   40:  301    16       74
   20:  307    23       72
   15:  175    21       45
   10:    0     0        0
------------------------------
Total: 1016    73      273  Total Score = 661,206

Club:

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K2

Antennas: TH5 @ 20m
          W3DZZ inverted vee @ 20m
          Elevated 40m GP
          160m inverted L (20m vertical)

Logging PC: Toshiba 2130CT (486) running DOS version of SD (tnx EI5DI)

This was my first attempt at SOSB QRP with the aim of breaking the G record of
900K...... quite a score to achieve at this point in the sunspot cycle!

I thought sleep would be a problem, but managed with just 2 breaks, the first
0500 to 0600 on the first morning and the other at 0200 to 0600 on the second
morning.

Being a hardcore QRP DXer, it was tempting to spend too much time chasing mults
in the pileups to the detrement of getting a good number of contacts in the
log.

Most of the time I was in S&P mode, on reflection I could have called CQ
more........I had a great run to NA on 15m on the second day.

Right upto the start of the contest I was undecided which logging program to
use. On one hand SD gives a better display of stuff worked whereas CT is better
for pileups (that thing where you start sending before you have typed all the
call in) I chose SD............but regretted it a little during my small runs.

Had some interesting psycological effects! I found myself seeing the stations I
was calling/working in the S meter of the K2!! as well as imagining I was trying
to sell tickets during the QSOs........weird!!

One moan!! Spent quite some time calling stations who havent quite learnt how
to use SO2R properly........minutes of CQs generating big pileups but no
QSOs.........what are they doing that is more important??!!

Finished up well short of my target.......but hey........I'll have another go,
conditions can only get better.........can't they??

See you next year!

73 Steve G4EDG