[3830] CQWW CW MD6V SOSB 20 LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW MD6V SOSB 20 LP
From: "Dave Sharred" <g3nkc@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 22:01:14 -0000
Contest         : CQ World Wide DX Contest
Callsign        : MD6V
Mode            : CW
Category        : Single Operator (SO)
Overlay         : ---
Band(s)         : Single band (SB) 20 m
Class           : Low Power (LP)
Zone/State/...  : 14
Locator         : IO74QD
Operating time  : 23h57

 BAND   QSO  CQ DXC DUP  POINTS   AVG
--------------------------------------
  160     0   0   0   0       0  0.00
   80     0   0   0   0       0  0.00
   40     0   0   0   0       0  0.00
   20  1591  35 120  24    2717  1.71
   15     0   0   0   0       0  0.00
   10     0   0   0   0       0  0.00
--------------------------------------
TOTAL  1591  35 120  24    2717  1.71
======================================
        TOTAL SCORE : 421 135

We arrived in GD land only on Friday morning; thankfully the weather was OK
for putting up antennas, if a little cold. We had 2 stations to set up;
G4XUM would use MD4K on 15m, I would use MD6V on 20m.

I had decided initially to compete in the HP section, but the ACOM 2000 that
I should have used would not power up. after not being able to solve the
problem, I decided that I should enter the Low Power (100W) section; as I
read the rules this meant that I could only enter the un-assisted section.

I decided that I should start at 06:30z; was actually up a little earlier
than that; although the first QSO was 06:49; band not really open then.
Probably spent the first hour S&P; not possible to get a run going.  I also
discovered our normally quiet QTH had some loud QRM when beaming towards
Japan. This cost any JA QSO's on the first day; although condx were not so
good then, I felt.

My 1000 did not have a CW filter in the sub rx, so I tended to run a while,
then sweep a part of the band, and run again. I could have done better if I
had a sub RX filter I am sure.

First day essentially finished 1t 19:30z, when I grabbed some tea, I cam
back though and found a few more mults to the south; and was amazed when
trying another CQ to be called by KC4USV on McMurdo base!

Made just short of 1000 QSO's on the first day.

Next day started off much the same; at 06:46z for the first S&P QSO. I kept
trying JA, with the offending noise source turned off; and a short run with
some 20 over 9 JA's started at 07:48!

2nd day is predictably slower; band was not so good either to USA.

I finished at 1807z, for evening meal; but found more South America later
on.

Thanks to all for the QSO's; had great fun !

73

Dave