[3830] CQWW CW A25NW(K9NW) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9nw@qth.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW A25NW(K9NW) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 20:44:28 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: A25NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: A25NW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Botswana
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:    5     2        5
   80:  130    18       41
   40:  920    28       77
   20: 1100    30       92
   15: 2341    34      120
   10:  428    15       62
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Radio/Amp: IC-765/TL922A
 Antennas: 10/15/20 - A4S @ 15m
                 40 - Wire 4-square
             80/160 - 24m Vertical

Portable setup at Stevensford Game Reserve, Tuli Block, Botswana

There was pretty good African activity this year and it was fun to be part of
it!  Condx overall seemed to be good and even 10m plays quite well from
southern Africa, all things considered.  There was never really a dull moment
on the bands.  With A2 being semi-rare there were instant pileups anywhere I
went.  CQWW brings out the best in ops and activity.

Only a couple small glitches:

 - After a week of perfect weather, a thunderstorm rolled through Sunday
afternoon producing heavy precip static.  Well, it was afternoon tea time
anyway, so I took a 45 minute break to let the storm pass and recharge a bit.

 - Sometime early Saturday night the relay used to switch in the 160m matching
network on the vertical got fried, rendering 160 inoperable.  That was
unfortunate as I had mostly ignored 160 the first night in favor of getting
good early numbers on 40m and was planning to hit it a bit harder the second
night.  Didn't notice this until Monday and it was now apparent why I couldn't
work anyone Saturday night.

I had a great week of DXing from A2.  Thanks to Daniel ZS6JR for all his help
with the setup.  And thanks to Ryan and Sandra of Stevensford for keeping me
well-fed all week long!  See y'all next time!

Thanks for the QSOs!

73, Mike K9NW / A25NW