[3830] ARRL 160 WI2E Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joseph.obrien@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WI2E Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:09:31 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: WI2E
Operator(s): WI2E
Station: WI2E

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 214  Sections = 48  Countries = 4  Total Score = 22,880

Club:

Comments:

I was out of town for a business trip on Friday, so as the snow began to fall on
Saturday afternoon, I hoisted my temporary 80M inverted-L into position (43 ft.
vertical) for use during the contest.  Overall, I was quite amazed with how
well it performed.  Although I was only on the air for four hours, anytime I
have an average hourly rate over 50 means things are moving for me here.

There is no doubt that my new RX array (two DX engineering active verticals +
the NCC-1) made a significant difference. Even though the verticals are only 38
feet apart (I live on .29 acres in a noisy suburban location), the array did a
very good job of nulling out local noise--and that revealed another layer of
stations.  I was even able to call CQ and run for a while, and in about 25% of
my run QSOs, I doubt I would have even realized someone was trying to call if I
only had the inverted-L for RX.  In practice, I think the most significant
impact of using the RX array was that I didn't tune past as many stations
calling CQ during a fade. Knowing someone was there, I could either wait on
frequency for the station's signal to strengthen enough to make a QSO possible,
or make a self-spot to the N1MM band map and return to the frequency later,
hoping for better conditions.

One QSO that didn't happen still put a big smile on my face.  I was calling
K7EA (I believe)in UT unsuccessfully, and then a bigger signal started trying
to get through. The call? WS2E.  I couldn't believe it.  One dit of difference
(I'm WI2E) on a tough band at the same time.  I figured that once WS2E had been
worked, at least our sections would indicate I was a different station and not
just calling in to "correct" my call.  However, it seems that just as I have
moved from W2 to EPA, so has WS2E! Knowing that my signal would be just above
the noise level at best, I figured the better part of valor was to move on.

My "best ears" awards go to N2IC, K7RAT, KV4FZ, and VP5CM. All did a great job
pulling me through. Actually, N2IC came right back as if he were in EPA with
me.  Strong work.

Overall, I had a very good time operating in this one.  Every QSO on 160M
somehow seems more special given all the challenges involved.  I'm now trying
to clear my calendar to make a more significant effort in the Stew Perry.

As always, it was great to work a significant contingent from the Thursday
Night  Contesting group.

Antennas: 80M inverted-L (43 ft. vertical); DX Engineering active RX antenna
array
Rig: K3

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs!

73,