[3830] ARRL 160 K3ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K3ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 13:36:22 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs): 34

Total:  QSOs = 1771  Sections = 79  Countries = 60  Total Score = 674,150

Club:

Comments:

As the contest began, I found myself occupying the very same frequency as a
station out west, I think it was K0RF.  His signal was bearable, but it made it
very interesting when his respondents would call him.  At the time, I was
working EU's left and right, and for the first two hours of the contest I was
trying to pick out their callsigns between the QRM.  It got really dicey when I
would turn my listening array toward the west to copy a W8 or W9 calling me and
would get absolutely blasted by a station calling K0RF.  I had adjusted the AGC
on the K3 to help distinguish among stations calling in a pileup, and it got
pretty painful at times.  Finally had to back the AGC setting closer to the
default.  Welcome to the 2009 running of ARRL 160!  The stations were wall to
wall.

Despite the challenging operating conditions, the first hour brought 120 QSOs
and 24 countries.  Nearly two-thirds of the contacts were with EU.  Many thanks
to the DX stations for helping us have a fun contest on our end.

EU poured in for the first couple of hours.  I managed to keep my cumulative
average above 100 contacts per hour through 8 hours.  The QRN was low, but I
have heard signals louder.  I did work three UA9's and one UA0 the first
night.

I went to bed on Saturday morning at 1330Z with 1,110 QSO's, 52 countries and
75 sections.  I did not leave the operating position from the start of the
contest until 15 hours later.  There were about 300 EU contacts in the log at
that point.

At the 24 hour mark, I had 1,214/52/75 and 421K points.  I was hoping to make
600K.

ZS1REC called in at 2349Z on Saturday night.

Total EU contacts, including dupes, was 433.  Perhaps a net of 400 plus.  No
JA, VK or ZL.

DL 68
F 28
G 50
I 20
UA 37
UR 16
SM 20
PA 19

I gave this my best effort.  I resumed operating at 1830Z on Saturday and did
not leave the chair until fourteen hours later.

Many thanks to brother Jeff, K1ZM for helpful advice along the way.  He's the
real low band expert.  Speaking of which, be sure not to miss the 3830 posting
from VY2ZM from last week's CQ CW contest.  Wow.  Fascinating.  I am very lucky
to have older brothers George, K2DM and Jeff.

73,

Peter  K3ZM