[3830] ARRL 160 N8UM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tcg1@googlegroups.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N8UM Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:37:54 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N8UM
Operator(s): N8UM
Station: N8UM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 21

Total:  QSOs = 1157  Sections = 76  Countries = 22  Total Score = 234,416

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

This contest is dedicated to the continuing memory of Earl Cunningham, K6SE,
KL7FRY, W5RTQ, W8DGP, etc. now a SK.

Last Christmas, before my knee replacements, I wanted my boys (adult boys!) to
help me drop the last remaining 80 meter ¼ wave vertical from the defunct 4
square.  When we got it down, I realized that it still was in great condition
after 25 years!  I decided to do a quick rebuild while the boys were home over
the holidays, and the antenna was walked back up with new stainless steel
hardware and cleanup of all the Penetrox joints.  Bob Nauman at Array Solutions
talked me into using a Texas Bugcatcher loading coil at the base. The thing
seems to work over the 38000 feet of wire in the old radial field!

The vertical coupled with the K3 and a KW amp allowed me to get reintroduced to
160 in a big way.  850 Qs in the log by the time I called it quits the first
night.

Technology has made its way into the 160 test.  While checking my e-Mail
Saturday morning, I received an anonymous e-mail to an undisclosed distribution
pointing out that the 160 DX window is 1830 -1835â?¦  Oops, my bad!  Good thing
I donâ??t Tweet!

My version of the head hitting the desk was when I would be tuning across the
band and all of a sudden hear some lid sending continuous dashes.  I then
realized it was me! It was time to quit and get some rest.  I only did it
twiceâ?¦