[3830] ARRL 160 WX3B Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WX3B Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:32:41 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 15

Total:  QSOs = 1007  Sections = 76  Countries = 44  Total Score = 275,425

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was another classic case of "I'm not going to operate in the contest"
turned enthusiastic part time operation!

Started about 3 hours into the contest, and HOLY COW what a flying start!
Operated until about 07:00zulu and called it a night, thinking that was enough
of that.  Conditions seemed fairly good though I had missed the Sunset opening
to Europe Friday night.

On Saturday, I discovered that Bryan, N3ST and I were very close in score and
figured that we could use this fact to both egg each other on, and boy I was
right about that.

Bryan maintained his edge as we called "game over" at 2:30am.  Of course I had
to work a few more QSOs just to break 1,000.

I somehow Missed SK, PR and SJV for easy (close) multipliers, don't think NT
was on this weekend and I never did work that HC that was on all weekend.  I
also lost an HB9 when I got into a frequency fight just as they called in!

I thought propagation was quite good, and very low noise.  Fascinating to see
Tom, W8JI spotted by JA3YBK at 3:00am local time.  Also heard from Steve, NY3A
that the band was open go EU at 2:something PM.  This was confirmed indirectly
by the spots I saw for Rich, AJ3G at 2:30pm by a EU which I thought had to be
bogus, however I realize now it was likely real.

Congratulations to Bruce's team N1LN....W4MYA (haven't see his score but know
it's huge)....N3KS and his new tower/vertical....K1HTV.....N3ST and his full
size vertical....and to NY3A who pulled a rabbit out of his hat with that huge
score (and big country count) with his low inverted Vee.

We can only hope that 10 meters will be half this much fun next weekend.

73,

Jim  WX3B