[3830] ARRL 160 W1WBB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wbliss1@cox.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W1WBB Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:40:13 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs): 21:10

Total:  QSOs = 604  Sections = 66  Countries = 19  Total Score = 108,290

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Equipt:  Icom 737, ants - tx: 3/8 wave Inv L (approx 36' sloping vert and 150'
horiz) rx: Inv L mostly, with new 210' unterminated -bi-directional- NE/SW
Beverage on ground (BOG) to augment, MFJ-929 autotuner, and N1MM Logger
interfaced with rig.

Another fine ARRL 160M 'test!  Mostly quiet condx here in New Engand...EU sigs
seemed to get a better bump late Sat eve here vice Friday.  Of course, with low
power I seem to work more distant stns later in the contest as the kilowatt
crowd's already worked 'em!

Strategy as LP was to run high up in the band early and make Q's, then more S&P
Sat eve for far-off sections and DX mults.  Quit early at 0645Z to rest for next
night.  By Sat morn had 310 Q's, 56 mults and 35k pts.  After a good contest
club meeting and other things I didn't get back on-air seriously 'til after
01Z.

It was slow picking up new mults until much later but slightly improved band
condx allowed better results with EU and the west although CA just never came
through much (seven missing "6 area" sections at contest end...uggghhh!).  The
points kept coming though with help from 12 EU and 7 more Caribbean/SA mults
and persistent search for western sections.  Eventually, 600 Q's looked doable
with over 100k pts; hit the 100k mark after 1000Z.  After sunrise I was crisped
and packed it in with 3.5 hrs to go.  Turns out, my final score was good enough
for a new RI Section LP score...now that's exciting!  Many thanks to all for
the Topband Q's.  And ND, I continue to search for thee -- where o' where art
though on Topband??  (Did hear W0ZTL S&Ping but alas, no joy).

A few highlights:
- my new short BOG rx ant laid out this week helped on copy for a few calls,
esp EU
- being called by an HB9 while I was CQ'ing high in the band early Sunday
- punching thru a pile-up very quickly for VO1HP and the NL sec
- the many appreciative ops seeking my RI section
- the amazing ebb and flow of propagation throughout the night on Topband
- just HEARING a station from North Dakota, even without QSO

It's great to hear so much RF on 160M!...cu for Stew Perry TBDC and CQWW 160.

73,  Bill  W1WBB