[3830] CQWW CW G5W(G3BJ) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g3ozf@btinternet.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW G5W(G3BJ) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 00:50:10 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G5W
Operator(s): G3BJ
Station: G3BJ

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Ludlow
Operating Time (hrs): 27
Radios: SO2R

  160:  293    13       56
   80:  482    20       77
   40:  577    26       88
   20:  850    33      113
   15:  319    29       94
   10:   28     3       15
------------------------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

With all the issues with surrounding the repair of my collapsed main tower, I
always knew that CQWW CW this year would be a bit doubtful. As it turned out,
the tower was up and everything working a few days before the contest, but that
was too late to pull a team together for the usual multi-single effort from
G5W.

So I decided to just have a play, and not to burn too much candle. I also
thought that this would be a good opportunity to try the SO (A) section, so
dutifully left the cluster running during the contest. But it was not till the
Saturday evening that I realised (mainly because of a lack of DX spots !) that
I had wrongly set up a filter. What I wanted to do was to only receive spots
from spotting stations located in zones 14-20. What in fact I did (through not
reading the manual properly) was to set up to receive spots about stations in
zones 14-20. So I had lots of data on Europe, but nothing else. I fixed this
for the Sunday, but by then had lost the initiative !

As for conditions, I always enjoy CQWW CW. Some of the longer distance LF mults
are a challenge, but it was heartening to get many of them quite easily. But my
operating time was little more than 24 hours, so the score is low, by 48 hours
standards.

Apart from a broken switching lead in the antenna change-over box (quickly
fixed) everything worked, and I used SO2R little because of the overall rate.

I took the whole of Saturday night off, and also time on Sunday, hence the poor
mult total â?? including many easy ones that I simply did not find. But good
fun, and next year, hopefully, back to a team entry.