[3830] CQWW CW VE6JY(VA7RR) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6JY(VA7RR) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:37:30 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6JY
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Alberta, Canada
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2196    36      128
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2196    36      128  Total Score = 873,628

Club:

Comments:

This was a very enjoyable weekend of contest activity filled with good rates,
juicy multipliers, and challenging pile-up busting.

   I want to thank Don, VE6JY, for hosting me for another WW CW 20M single band
effort from his fine station located about an hour outside Edmonton, Alberta.
When I checked in with Don about a month before the contest, I was pleasantly
surprised to learn that one of his summer projects was the completion of a
4-high 20 meter stack, with the top antenna at 200 feet. This array now
complements the previously existing 160 foot four antenna stack.

   I can say flat out that I've never, in about 35 years of contesting,
operated on a band with such antenna diversity.  I had the ability to select
ANY combination of 8 long boom yagis, and point them toward various geographic
areas of interest.  While CQing on both afternoons, for example, I ran the top
two antennas of the 200 foot tower toward Europe, the top two of the 160 foot
tower to JA, a single antenna at about 110 feet to the East Coast/Caribbean,
and another single antenna at the USA West Coast/South Pacific. As one might
surmise, it worked very very well.

   Conditions on Day 1 were very good, and only so-so on Day 2.  Had almost
1,450 QSOs after 24 hours, and, and that point, the 1996 Canadian 20 Meter SB
record looked to be a real possiblity.  Unfortunately, as seems to often be the
case with DX contests in the western part of North America, we never seem to get
two good back-to-back days of propagation.  As an example, the predawn hours to
Europe on the 2nd day were paltry (59 Qs from 9Z through 14Z, versus 239 during
the same period on the first day).

   Probably because of the combination of better conditions and a very good new
complement of antennas, this year I was able to(eventually) work just about
every new mulitplier that I encountered.  Some notable exceptions - I found and
called 5R8ZO on three different occasions, but never could break through the EU
and USA hordes to log him.  Also, I found VU2PAI at about 06Z on Day 2, but I
think he was pointing at EU.  Could get his attention before he QSYed after
about 5 minutes of calling him.  Never heard Z34, and, surprisingly, did not
come across Z2.

   Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.

73,

Gary  VA7RR