[3830] ARRL 10 K4TD SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rnwalker@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K4TD SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:50:05 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K4TD
Operator(s): K4TD
Station: K4TD

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Alabama
Operating Time (hrs): 19

   CW:  435    66
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  435    66  Total Score = 114,708

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Lots of activity from Alabama in this one as well.  I worked a total of 20
different AL stations.  All-in-all, this contest certainly had its highs and
lows...  For the most part it was very slow, but the last two hours things
really picked up.  Got a nice opening and was able to work South America and
the west and east coasts all at the same time.  The last 30 minutes I had an
excellent opening to the Northeast, which was a blast!!

Missed ID, UT, WA, and WV in the US.  Worked many VE3', two VE2's and two
VE4's; otherwise not much heard from VE-land...  I saw several VE7's and a VE5
get spotted but never heard any of them.  The biggest kick for me was being
called by ZM4G, and then he spotted me (I also noticed that he spotted K4ZGB).
That spot turned into two additional Q's from ZL for me!  :-)  Also got called
by ZS1EL, which was a hoot!  Heard a V5 but he got away before I could work
him.  Found and worked KH6ZM and then my CQ's were answered by two additional
KH6's a little while later.  Late in the afternoon the signals from SA got very
strong.  I even had a few LU's and PY's answer my CQ's.  Countries worked were:
ZS, CM, FM, XE, ZL, CE, CX, HC, HC8, HK, LU, OA, P4, PJ2, PY, and PY0F.

Since things were so slow, I used the opportunity to get used to using N1MM in
SO2V mode with one of my K3s.  With the K3 2nd RX option, the combo workes
pretty well.  I still have some training to do before I feel completely ready
for a "prime time" band, but the experience was worthwhile.  My new Alpha 8410
hung in there with me quite handily.  I'm sure glad that I made the decision to
buy one.  I can't wait till my second 8410 comes off the production line.

Will close by saying thanks to each and every one of you for the QSOs!

73,

Rick
K4TD