[3830] ARRL 10 W1WBB SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wbliss1@cox.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W1WBB SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:56:19 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  115    30
  SSB:    4     2
-------------------
Total:  115    30  Total Score = 13,800

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

The 10M portion of the offset center-fed dipole was not matching well with the
tuner and even at LP I had to crank back the power somewhat...didn't look
promising transmitting through a compromise antenna with even less power at the
bottom of the solar cycle.

The first 24 hrs netted just 5 New England area mults...I just tried to work
every local stn via ground wave that I could.  Then, of course, the band opened
up Saturday evening around 00Z...great 5+ hour opening to Midwest and the South
yielded 17 new mults with my "wet noodle" antenna...now that's what 10M is all
about! Foreshadowing maybe, from the single sunspot identified earlier this
week??

Snagged VE1ZA for nice mult as soon as I turned on the rig Sunday morn...and
then *poof*, his sigs just faded away.  It certainly was interesting chasing
some of the CQers via S&P whose sigs came and went so fast...I had to be quick
on the F4 function-key trigger.

Sunday afternoon gave a bit of "searchlight" type propagation and new mults to
LA (W5ZZ) and 2 hrs later, two stns only heard and worked in OK.  Then S/A
opened up nicely for close to an hour between about 20:15 and 2100Z...worked
CX, LU, PY, CE and FM5 before the band closed.  I shut down too after that.

Lots of fun and nice surprises this year on Ten...my first time in this event
in a while.  Lots of trips up and down the cellar stairs to the shack to check
band condx and make a few Q's...very different from a contest needing full
chair-time operations since the band was open so infrequently.  Gave out a
handful of phone contacts to some locals...thanks to all for the QSO's.

73,  Bill  W1WBB