[3830] RAC Winter VE4EAR SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE4EAR SO SSB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:27:24 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:           15                5
   80:          166               10
   40:          267               10
   20:          665               12
   15:           19                5
   10:            0                0
    6:            0                0
    2:            0                0
Total:   0     1132      0        42  Total Score = 239,316

Club:

Comments:

Horrible Conditions on 40m Friday night. Skip was way too long. I am plagued
with S9+ noise on 80m from AM broadcast station intermodulation. (Not in my
station) So I was only able to work the stronger stations. I had hoped to maybe
work a couple dozen stations on 80m but struggled to work 166. Thanks for all
the repeats and pateience folks!

Saturday saw a good EU opening on 20m but it was much shorter than I expected,
less than 1 hour. Good strong signals from eastern Canada on 20m. Found a
frequency and ran until I figured it was time to check out 15m. Found only a
few east coast stations and a few SE US on 15m. From the center of the country,
there just enough skip zone at this point of the cycle. No e-skip this time
around, unlike last year. Managed to work VE5CPU in neighboring SK via
backscatter. He is due west and best signals were pointing SE.

No signals on 10m whenever I checked. Last year I managed over 120 QSO's on 10m
and a bunch on 6m thanks to sporadic E. Not this year.

Despit the high MUF and flux values, 20m died a quick death before grey line
hit. One moment signals are booming and the next they are gone.

40m proved better late Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for a great particpation from my all acroos the country. I think I
worked every licensed station in NL, usually a rarity. It was also great
working all 3 territories.

I am embarrased as a VE4 that there was no VE4RAC station on the air. I was
hoping one of the stations that runs mixed mode all bands would have activated
it. The email asking me to activate the RAC callsign came 4 hours into the
contest, too late to switch.

Many thanks to the sponsors and the organizers.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy and safe Holiday season to all!

73

Ed, VE4EAR