[3830] RAC Winter VE6TL SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE6TL SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:55:13 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:   12      3       1         2
   80:   30     16       7         4
   40:   40      7       3         2
   20:  165    165       5         6
   15:   54     65       6         4
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:  301    256      22        18  Total Score = 100,320

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

I forgot about the start of the contest until it was five hours old.  Then I
rushed to turn on my station and found the bands almost devoid of signals.  On
Friday night I only managed to work 60 or 70 stations on 40/80/160 combined.  I
got to try out my new BigIR vertical and was delighted that I didn't have to
tune it as the presets were already there.  Unfortunately, the new SDA-100
controller seems only to work in "autotrack" mode with Logger32 software and
not with N1MM.  I'll have to do some tinkering as I need to figure this out.
Nevetheless, I got good reports on the BigIR.  I went to bed about 1:30AM on
Saturday morning (local MST) and resumed the contest around 7AM.  The bands
were still pretty dead here and discovered that I probably should have gone to
20m a bit earlier than I did.  I worked the contest until 12:30PM, when I took
my daughter to the Calgary Flames hockey game (free tickets).  So I only had
limited time to do the contest.  I set a goal of 100,000 points and with 5
minutes to go, still needed 7,000 points.  I desperately tuned 20m CW and at
the end found VA2RAC and another VE2 station who wanted to QSY to 15m CW for a
mult.  It turns out I needed him too.  Then I heard a VE1 right next door and
got another mult.  I topped 100,000 points with a minute to spare!

My score this year was less than half of last year's score, but so was my time
on.  Next year I hope to do a more solid effort.  Maybe we'll even have a few
more sun spots.

73,

Jerry
VE6TL

Rig:  FT-1000MP
Amp:  FL-7000
Ant:  TH6DXX for 10-15-20
      Alpha Delta shortened dipole/Vee for 80/40
      SteppIR BigIR 80-10 (mostly used on 80m)
      Shunt-fed tower for 160m
Software:  N1MM