[3830] TBDC W1UJ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1uj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC W1UJ Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 10:00:08 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W1UJ
Operator(s): W1UJ
Station: W1UJ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN42
Operating Time (hrs): 5

Total:  QSOs = 309  Total Score = 1,042

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Many changes at the W1UJ station for this one, including a ~500' 2-wire beverage
aimed just East of North.  Strung it up on Christmas Eve after the freshly wound
K1FZ beverage transformer and 1/2 mile of wire arrived last week.

I did want to do a more serious effort, but the XYL discovered problems with
160m effecting only the Verizon DSL modem. This caused un-necessary 'friction'
by not having a good internet connection for utilization of the recently
acquired gift-cards etc....  So, lots of well needed family time was mixed in
between operating.

It is amazing introducing a receive antenna.  I was motivated with recent
discussions, and research into receiving antennas.  Securing permission from
effected neighbors, the project begins.

2 hours were spent during Saturday mid-day, where there was very very little
on, but wanted to figure out the beverage stuff.  I could not figure out f/b or
gain or it's directivity.  I have one direction EXTREMELY quiet, but nothing is
strong with that one selected (That would be the return, or SSE, I am going to
swap feed lines and see what shakes) The NNE direction was the main RX antenna,
it was superior with noise over the TX antenna, but seemed omni-directional. No
one seemed 'nulled' from the TX antenna- when the signals fade on the TX they
pick up on the RX.

KRX3, unfortunately, has a delivery date of 12/30.. CQWW 160m Diversity RX!?

TX is a center-fed 80m Zepp fed as a Marconi with 3- 140' radials.

Rig= K3 and Titan ~600w depending on house internet requirements.

Happy New Year!

Jay W1UJ