[3830] TBDC TF4M Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, otradalur@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC TF4M Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:25:27 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: TF4M
Operator(s): TF4M
Station: TF4M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: HP85FP
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 404  Total Score = 2,820

Club:

Comments:

Conditions seemed rather poor with some Auroral activity during the contest.
This affects TF stations greatly since we are so close to the Auroral Oval.

In spite of the poor conditions, I made a few juicy DX contacts, notably
CE1/K7CA for a new country and Zone 12, VK6DXI for the longest distance worked
â?? 15.800km, and KH6LC in Hawaii.

I heard ZL3IX with good signals but was unable to raise him.

It was also a great pleasure to work K7RAT.

Several QSOs were made with Japan, but the US was noticeably absent.   Only a
handful of US stations were worked, despite conditions allowing contacts to be
made to the West Coast.

I am dismayed with the low quality signals that descend on 160 meters during
contest weekends.

Key Clicks are rampant and several stations made it hard to operate near them
due to their dirty transmitters.

Isn´t it time to clean up this act?

In addition, the fishing buoys in the Baltic area seem to be getting stronger
and stronger, the low part of the band is almost unusable here because of this
QRM, but perhaps this is just an indication of the good conditions.

Generally it is a great pleasure to operate on 160 meters but I may reconsider
my contest participation, as this is simply not enjoyable.

I am using a Yaesu FT1000MP MK V with key click modifications in place and the
radio is fitted with an INRAD roofing filter and a 200Hz CW filter in the
455kHz IF cascaded with the stock 250 Hz filter in the 8MHz IF.
I receive with an array of 8 Beverage antennas, coupled through a K9AY
preamplifier with excellent overload characteristics.

I do view these things as a challenge, but I think things could be improved in
some aspects.

I am trying for the Aurora Borealis Award.

Will be back of course, once my ears of steel have recovered :-)

73
Thor, TF4M
http://tf4m.com/