[3830] RTTY Roundup VE3KI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3iay@storm.ca
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup VE3KI Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:04:28 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: VE3KI
Operator(s): VE3KI
Station: VE3KI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
   80:  151
   40:  157
   20:  171
   15:   11
   10:
------------
Total:  490  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 39  Total Score = 46,060

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I decided to use this contest to try out SO2V (single op, single transceiver
with two receivers, one antenna). Although I tried CQing now and then, I never
got a bite, so the entire log is S&P. SO2V helps in several ways:
(i) Working on one band, I could use the second RX on another (lower) band to
fill up the bandmap with unworked stations, ready to run through in quick
succession when I QSYed the main radio to that band;
(ii) I could simultaneously scan up the band from the bottom and down the band
from the top, working new stations from either VFO at will, making S&P
considerably more efficient;
(iii) While sitting in a pileup for a rare multiplier, I could keep on S&Ping
and working stations elsewhere on the same band instead of losing all the time
spent;
(iv) I didn't try this out, but it should be possible to run and S&P
simultaneously on the same band, taking time out from CQing for just long
enough to work each new station found on the S&P receiver.

This is sort of a poor man's SO2R. It is probably much easier in RTTY than in
CW, because the output from both receivers is visible on the screen in front of
you; all you have to do is keep a close eye on the red dot in N1MM Logger to be
sure you will be transmitting on the correct VFO. It will be interesting to see
whether my brain can keep up with two receive streams in CW.

Elecraft K3, N1MM Logger, ground-mounted 5-band vertical antenna.