[3830] RTTY Roundup N2FF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2ff@optonline.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup N2FF Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:32:42 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: N2FF
Operator(s): N2FF
Station: N2FF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: East Williston, NY
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
   80:  179
   40:  184
   20:  165
   15:   45
   10:    0
------------
Total:  573  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 38  Total Score = 50,424

Club: Order of Boiled Owls of New York

Comments:

When you see a log with more QSO's on both 80 and 40 than on 20 you know
something is wrong. With high winds both days my quad was at about 30 most of
the time.  Saturday night I put it down to 25 feet with wind gust over 50 I was
taking no chances. Sunday morning I put it back up to a little over 30 feet. I
kept noticing fast QSB on receive signals but saw no change in SWR or output
when transmitting.  I had a great run on 40 meters with 51 QSO's in the 1600
hour and then we lost all house power for almost an hour.  That will put a dent
into a great run!!!

When the power came back I swung the quad west and started to run on 15 to the
NW hoping to get ID, UT, ND and found my rotator would not move to due west.
When I went outside in the cold wind I found the problem.  The 20 meter
reflector was pulled off one of the top spreaders and the bottom was hooked on
a gutter holder. I am not sure whether the wind and spreader flexing broke off
the tie wraps or it had been hung up when I lowered the tower. I think it came
off in the wind Saturday night. The loose 20 meter director loop was at times
touching the other loops.  No more quad use in this contest and I would have to
wait for warm windless day to lower it and tolt it over to put new ties on.  At
this point there is no broken wires or fiverglass.  That's lucky, but.....

The rest of the contest was all 40 and 80 meters.

Despite the antenna problems and low power I was able to run on both 80 and 40
and make another 100 plus contacts before I threw in the towel.

I have been in every RTTY Roundup since the start of the event I was hoping to
get to about 800 Q's this year with low power.