[3830] NAQP CW K9YC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9yc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K9YC Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:06:09 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   66    29
   80:   77    18
   40:  162    42
   20:  211    52
   15:  149    31
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total:  667   173  Total Score = 115,391

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

My best score ever in NAQP. 15M was good, but 20, 40, and 80 all closed very
early. 160M was GREAT. Worked VA, ON, NC, AK, AL, GA, LA, MN, WI, IN, IL, AR.
It was easy to tell which stations had good RX antennas pointed west!

80M is often my best band, but I couldn't get any traction. The next day I
figured out why. On a hunch, I looked at the power setting on the K3 that I
used on that band (the setting is memorized by band). Sure enough, it was set
for 12W, which I had used the prior weekend to drive my amp for RTTY, so my
signal was 9dB down from "normal."

This was the first contest with a new 2-el wire Yagi for 40M that K6XX helped
me rig. It's at 100 ft, and plays nearly as well as the flat-top dipole that's
25 ft higher. My main antennas for 80 and 40 are fan dipoles, to this antenna
allows me to work 40M and 80M SO2R.

73,

Jim K9YC