[3830] NAQP SSB N6HC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N6HC@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N6HC Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 08:32:00 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: N6HC
Operator(s): N6HC
Station: N6HC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA-ORG
Operating Time (hrs): 5.5

  160:    0     0
   80:  303    51
   40:  180    45
   20:    6     2
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  489    98  Total Score = 47,922

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

The initial contesting hours were consumed by replacing a headlamp in my
automobile followed by a toilet repair followed by yard and swimming pool
maintenance in preparation for the series of rain and wind storms that we are
expecting in Southern California over the next week or two.  A leisurely
breakfast and lunch with the XYL and solving the LA Times crossword and Sudoku
puzzles also ate into my operating time.  I finally got on the air about 4:30
PM local time.  Twenty meters had long closed so off I went to 40 meters.  The
two element beam performed well but after 180 QSOs the pickens were slim.  So
begrudgingly I trudged off to 80 meters for what I expected to be a complete
bust never contemplating what awaited me.  The band was wide open across North
America and apparently I was loud even though my antenna was an 80 meter
inverted vee dipole with the apex at 55 feet and the antenna tuner in line
because the dipole is cut for the CW end of the band.  I never made it to 160
meters because I was having so much fun on 80 meters!  Some of the signals were
received better on the dipole and some were heard louder on my 125 foot sloper.
But the band stayed hot for me to the very end of the contest.  I have NEVER
experienced 80 meter SSB like that in 52 years of amateur radio contesting!
Thank you for all the QSOs.  They have been uploaded to EQSL and LOTW.  I'll
see you in the next one.
Best regards,
Arnie  N6HC