[3830] NAQP SSB NC4KW(@N1LN) M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB NC4KW(@N1LN) M/2 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:50:03 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: NC4KW
Operator(s): W4KAZ, AA4FU, N1YXU, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:  187    42
   80:  429    52
   40:  518    57
   20:  263    40
   15:   72    15
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1469   206  Total Score = 302,614

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

The less than 48 hour contests are starting to become my favorites.  The NAQP 12
hour format is right up there at the top.  When the 12 hour duration is combined
with Multi-2, my favorite contest class, and a fun group of ham friends, it
might not get any better than this.  Well, OK - perhaps it would be a bit
better if the east coast propagation on 20, 15 and 10 improved some.
Fortunately for us the low bands made up for part of the lack in 20 meter and
15 meter activity.  We donâ??t even talk about 10 meters right now.

Knowing that this contest typically is won by a team with a mid-country QTH,
our goals were to finish in the top 10 and to beat last years statistics.  We
are not yet sure about a top 10 finish (top 5 would be real nice), but we
definitely beat last years counts on all bands.  This was true for both Q
counts and Mult counts.

Kaz, W4KAZ, did all of the heavy lifting on 160 and did it well.  Alan, AA4FU,
Kaz and I split up 80 meters and 40 meters.  Laurie, N1YXU, Alan and Kaz split
up the 20 meter time and, as I didnâ??t want to bore anyone too much, I managed
15 meters by myself.   We operated roughly 2 hrs on and 1 hour off.  That
allowed plenty of time to keep up with the football playoff games, a bit of
relaxation and the tradition for our QTH, good food and a few drinks.  A great
time was had by all.

Due to the 20 meter condition we did not log a single QSO with stations in the
1, 2 or 8 call district and only worked MD in the 3 area and WI in the 9 call
area. The 4th area was not much better, only getting GA, NC and KY in the log.
It certainly is hard to get a good mult total when you never work or even hear
any stations in 20 of the mult locations, not to speak of the overall Q count
issue.  Oh well, we had fun on 40 (until it went long) and the most fun on 80
and 160.

The QRN level was not horrible, but it was there.  The beverages did their
magic, but sharing between the two stations was difficult as the desired
directions of each operator were different most of the times.   There will soon
be a station improvement coming that will assist in that department.  The issue
of sharing beverages will be resolved and two separate RX systems will be
available.  That won't occur until summer.

Thanks to everyone that moved for us and we worked and to those that moved and
we could not hear.

Congrats to the other M2 teams.  Some of the scores are HUGE.

73,
Bruce - N1LN
(aka: NC4KW/Pat)