[3830] CQ160 CW K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 02:04:07 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 4:40

Total:  QSOs = 96  State/Prov = 29  Countries = 0  Total Score = 6,177

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

That score will get dinged, as I'm pretty sure I blew the call on one VE.  I
copied letter F, even when he tried to correct me (Murphy timing the QSB/QRN
just right), and I'm pretty sure I heard him a little later saying letter U.
But F is what I put in the log, and that's what stays.

As usual, just a little fooling around.  Before I could begin my traditional
Saturday-after-nightfall operation I had to shovel the snow.  That was a lot
easier going than the 'Test.  In addtion to the poor antenna, the splatter from
ex-WTOP (50KW on 1500KHz, abt 1.5 miles away), and local(?) noise, I was having
terrible intermod problems.  I stopped after less than 4 hrs Sat nite, and did
a little more Sunday morning.  It was not until after I QRT Sunday morning that
I remembered what I had thought of as I fell asleep Sat nite: make sure you
turned off the AGC.  Oops!  Dumb mistake of a CW op who worked some SSB in ARRL
10 'Test and has not turned on the rig since.  Sunday afternoon we went to
Baltimore to visit our daughter, so no more 'Test.

Were it not for PVRCers, this would have been really slow.  Biggest thrill:
improving my 'best DX' on 160 to New Mexico.  Biggest disappointment: having
the inaudible Europeans beat me out in calling W1 and W2 stations.  I console
myself that the US stations must have had very good directional receive
antennas.

73, Art K3KU