[3830] CQ160 CW K9MMS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9MMS@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K9MMS Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:24:21 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 574  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 39  Total Score = 160,800

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Missed (never heard) SD, NWT, YT, NF, and LB.  Only heard/worked one AK - thanks
Rich/KL7RA.  Worked four KH6 stations.  Countries worked: 19 EU, 11 NA, 6 SA, 2
AF, 1 OC.  Could not break through the pile up for 6W and C4.

Started out LP with the K3.  Finally got the inverted L tuned before the
contest - even if it was cold and snowing outside.  (Had been waiting for a
break in the weather to do that.)  Alternated between the inverted L and
Marconi antennas.  Three short RX antennas.  After 188 QSOs, and having trouble
working some of the DX, decided to go HP (550 W via AL-811H) and mainly chase
countries.  My first time in HP category in this contest.  Mostly S&P -- 65% of
QSOs.

This is supposed to be the gentleman's band, but that seems to be changing.
Many U.S. stations did not stay out of the (now unofficial, I guess) 1830-1835
DX window.  It is still used by some of the DX stations.  Several DX stations
in that window were covered up by U.S. stations parking there and CQing -- even
on the edges.  I told one U.S. station he was right on top of DX, at the edge of
the window, and he just replied he had been there for a while.  (He obviously
did not care about anyone else.)  Several times, I had my CQ frequency stolen
-- after I had been there a while and had checked, and asked, if it was clear
before I had started.  I almost quit early because of all of the rudeness that
I was observing and encountering.

73,
    Gary