[3830] RTTY WPX K8ND M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jmaass@k8nd.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX K8ND M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:59:15 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: K8ND
Operator(s): K8ND +PACKET
Station: K8ND

Class: M/S HP
QTH: OHIO
Operating Time (hrs): 9:00

   80:   35   80
   40:
   20:  142  333
   15:   39   80
   10:
-----------------
Total:  216  493  Prefixes = 195  Total Score = 96,135

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Writelog 10.69D + MMTTY
MicroHam MK2R+
FT-1000MP
Alpha 91b (~500W)
KT34XA + 80m Inv-V

First operation on RTTY for 30 years.

I had a MicroHam MK2R+ SO2R controller in a box here, and since the club
station PJ2T was going to be active on RTTY, I thought I'd make a small effort
to get on RTTY. The supplied cable set made getting connected to my FT-1000MP
an easy process.

Sometime in the past I had added MMTTY RTTY support to Writelog, although I'd
never used it. Initially, I was able to see transmissions OK, but no one would
respond to my calls. Finally P49X told me that I was transmitting upside-down,
and then worked me anyway! With the email assistance of W8TK, I figured out how
to make the FT-1000MP menu and software play nicely together.

I suspect that the integration with Writelog was incomplete, as there was some
manual activity involved in logging a QSO. If I were serious at this RTTY
contesting stuff, I'd need to do a turn as an apprentice at an experienced
operator's station!

It was fun, and a learning experience. I didn't spend a lot of time at it (less
than indicated by the Writelog time-keeper), but had it on while doing other
things in my office/shack.

I used packet. The rules don't mention packet of "Assisted", and so I expect
that this places me in the Multi-op category, or makes me a checklog.

What I need now is a "CW Skimmer" for RTTY!