[3830] ARRLDX CW G5W(@G3BJ) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW G5W(@G3BJ) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:37:11 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: G5W
Operator(s): G3BJ, G0WWW
Station: G3BJ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Ludlow
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R

  160:  204    44
   80:  445    53
   40:  965    58
   20: 1259    59
   15: 1130    58
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 4003   272  Total Score = 3,263,184

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

After last year's effort in ARRL SSB, I was keen to try the CW section, and am
very pleased I did. A two-person effort here in Multi-Single - Marios,
5B4WN/G0WWW and myself, each with our K3's, set up in SO2R configuration,
instead of my normal FT1000MP's. That way, we each had 50% of the contest off,
and it was a more relaxing weekend.

What can I say about conditions ?

Well Friday night/Saturday was a blast, with excellent openings on 80 through
15m. Really great to see 15m getting back to form, and it the rate was good
there â?? peaking over 300/hour for some time.

40 was good overnight (it can get noisy, as everyone knows) but this time, it
came good. 80 was excellent (for the first 24 hours we had more mults on 80
than any other band !). 160 seemed OK, but not sparkling on the Friday (it came
good on the Saturday night). The new US beverage worked like a dream on 80 and
160, although even then, some of the Western states were a bit scratchy on
160.

10m never delivered â?? it was so frustrating to see the spots from Southern
Europe, but despite leaving the second rig sitting on where KC1XX was, we only
heard one brief burst from him and made zero QSOs.

Dreary activity everywhere from after dawn until about 11.30z on the Sunday â??
there was little around we had not worked. Then it all started again and the
last 12 hours was great, with the run still going at 150/hr on the last hour on
40m.

Some awful signals around â?? wide clicks, and one Hungarian statioin started
on 80m with spurii all over the band â?? not sure what happened to him, but it
all went quiet later.

All in all a great contest for us here â?? whether we have done well or badly,
it matters not. It was just good fun. I'm now sold on the K3 for contesting â??
so unstressed, it's just unreal.

WinTest v4 was used for the first time in anger here, and acquitted itself
well.

Thanks to all for the QSOs - great contest.