[3830] ARRLDX CW VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, joel.weiner@ualberta.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE6WQ(@VE6JY) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:32:11 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Alberta
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1833   115
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1833   115  Total Score = 632,385

Club:

Comments:

The old Canadian 20 M record was ~471k set back in 1992. Quite an amazing
contest this year with the best conditions on 20m in at least a decade here in
propagation deprived Alberta. Excellent polar openings both nights with at
least 10 hours of Europe from about 0900 to 1800. Lots of interesting DX called
in including VP8NO, T6AF, 8Q7IA, 3 VU2â??s (tough from here), 2 HZâ??s, 4 HSâ??s
etc. Overall had 1319 Europeans in the log and 281 JAâ??s.

The 20 meter antenna array at VE6JY is outstanding with 7 big five element
yagis selectable in any combination. Four are stacked on a 200 ft tower and 3
are stacked on a 160 ft tower. The top yagis on each tower are fully rotatable.
For Europe typically had the top yagi on the 200 ft tower over the pole and the
second one @160ft at 25 deg. On the other tower the top yagi was typically at
35 deg to 45 deg depending on propagation. For the evening Asian openings had
the 200 ft yagi on tower 1 at deep Asia and the top antenna on the 160 ft yagi
on tower 2 pointed at Japan.  The lower yagis were used fixed on Caribbean,
Japan and Oceania.  All worked flawlessly.

Equipment was an ICOM 756ProII and an Alpha 77D amp.

Only negative was the large number of US stations that called often making it
difficult to hear the DX. During the JA openings had as many as 10 different US
stations calling in a row even though I explained to each that this was a DX
contest and we couldnâ??t work W/VE.

As always Don was a great host making sure I didnâ??t over sleep, ate my meals
on time and had a constant supply of coffee and tea.

Hope we get similar condition for SSB.