[3830] ARRLDX CW W4PK SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4PK@ARRL.NET
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W4PK SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:55:28 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 7.3

  160:  106    47
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  106    47  Total Score = 14,523

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I decided that I would do a 160M single-band effort this year as I was still
recovering from last weekend's 28-hour effort in the WPX RTTY contest.

Most of my Beverages were down due to all the snow that we had over the past
month.  Started Friday night but soon determined that I really did need those
Beverages.  So I spent both Saturday and Sunday afternoons taking my chainsaw
to the trees and limbs that had fallen down and reconnecting my Beverages.
This was particularly difficult due to the snow still being up to 1-foot deep
in places.  I still have some more to repair, but I did get enough done to at
least hear Europe and Asia again.

Seems like after the first couple of hours there were no more stations to be
found.  About 80% of my contacts were by S&Ping.  The remainder were from my
feeble effort at CQing.  I did get a mini-run of about a half-dozen JA's going
on Sunday morning.  So I am at least getting out.  I shunt-feed my 75' tower
which is heavily top-loaded with a 36' boom Force 12 520/240 beam. There are
60-plus radials buried around this tower.  And I use an ACOM 2000A with my
IC7800 for 1.5KW output.

Otherwise I was only getting 3 or 4 per hour into the log when I CQed.  One
highlight was that I was CQing Saturday night and I got a call from OK2BYW.
This CW-challanged operator (me) often has to ask for repeats but I got his
call right the first time.  Then he gave a power report of TT5!  I copied it in
the clear but I could not believe what I heard so I did ask for a repeat just to
confirm it.

I did enjoy the leasurely pace though.  I was able to read e-mails and do other
tasks requiring my attention around the shack while I let the radio CQ.