[3830] ARRLDX CW N9NC SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9nc-yccc@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N9NC SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:16:48 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N9NC
Operator(s): N9NC
Station: N9NC

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 33

  160:   88    48
   80:  229    65
   40:  730    92
   20:  423    92
   15:  459    90
   10:   54    29
-------------------
Total: 1983   416  Total Score = 2,471,040

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Running all wire antennas under 30' here, one radio, I spent the most of the
first 24 hours S&P.

Its amazing what good propagation enables - mostly out of laziness I used the
EU Vee beam on 20m with just 400W and 2.8:1 SWR, so that I could leave it tuned
for 15m (still didn't complete a planned remote tuner/switcher).

I was able to hold a run freq and had the same good runs as on 15m.  At nearly
6 dB under full power, this makes me think gain is over-rated, at least in
conditions like this weekend.

Activity was so intense that I wound way up at 14.126, yet rates were like
.026

For the Packet/Internet Luddites among us:

The cluster network enables this kind of operating, thus fueling contest
activity generally -  which we want and need to keep the sport alive and
growing.    It matters a bit less, maybe even much less where you run nowadays,
thanks to packet.  And because of that, its more fun for both callers and
call-ees.

Other packet use observations -

In the gray area:
Not new but I've not seen much discussion on it - the practice of spotting the
station you are calling, while you are still calling ( I suspect in hopes of
being seen by the call-ee and then worked.)   I guess you could call this
'reverse self spotting'.

Probably good when used responsibly:
Using the band map as more general communications tool.
Showcase example: pointing out that most of the variant spots for 6Y1LZ were
indeed wrong - -  by spotting 66666Y1LZ with a supporting comment.