[3830] ARRLDX CW CT1JLZ(OK1RF) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW CT1JLZ(OK1RF) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:15:36 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: CT1JLZ
Operator(s): OK1RF
Station: CT1JLZ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Porto Covo
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:  317    51
   80:  665    59
   40:  769    58
   20: 1180    58
   15: 1328    59
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total: 4261   287  Total Score = 3,668,721

Club:

Comments:

Fist of all many thanks to all who called me. ARRL CW Contest has been my
preferred favorite since my very ham beginnings (As OK1ALW since 1964).
Lower band conditions were very good; in the second half of the Contest the
160-m and 80-m signals were weaker due to QRN. I ran the 40-m band with only a
24-m vertical as the 3-el Yagi was destroyed by a storm in December 2009.
The 20-m and 15-m bands were excellent; the 15-m band was open for a long time
during both days. On 20-m band the signals were extremely strong.
 I lost a lot of time trying the 10-m band. All signals were coming barely
above noise. A high industrial noise level from local power line only allowed
two QSOs, with KC1XX and W3LPL. Many thank, boys. It happened in late afternoon
and their signals arrived from SA direction. My noise source is unfortunately
located in NA direction. It is a huge problem from  my actual CT  location.

Another problem is my old body born in 1945. The SOAB HP category in the
48-hour Contest became difficult for veterans like me. Sitting forty hours with
my painful spine was an act of pure strong will. When I could use  slower rates,
I  preferred to stand up. The best hour happened Saturday evening on 20 meters-
200 QSO per hour.
It was a nice experience but a difficult contest for me. I am gradually coming
back to life and considering the next ARRL SSB Contest, HI.

73! Jiri CT1JLZ/OK1RF