[3830] CQ160 SSB KB9OWD Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB KB9OWD Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:55:34 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 100  State/Prov = 41  Countries = 1  Total Score = 9,660

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

About 90 watts to a 80 meter 1/4 wave with LP up about 40 feet = Not much fun!
Got on for just a few hours late Friday evening and early Saturday A.M. to give
out some QSO's to the loud ones.  I have never worked this one and just wanted
to play around a bit with my puny signal to work a few.

Many QSO's were a chore, requiring several repeats.  Kudo's to all of the QSO's
that pulled out my small signal.  I was basically bouncing around trying to see
how many states I could work in a few hours.  Was actually surprised to work 37
and 4 provinces.  Also worked ZF2AM on the DX side on the 2nd or 3rd call, great
ears!!!  VE worked was AB, ON, BC and QC.  Heard a couple MB in the pileups and
also a few SK, but none of either CQing.

States never heard were ....  VT, DE, LA, NV, MT, HI and AK.

States heard but not worked .... FL, MS, OK, CA, WV, IA.

Of the 5 heard and not worked, only CA did I hear calling CQ but could not make
it work.  I quit about 2 1/2 hours before sunrise and a few CA were a good 5/9
but couldn't make it work.  Had I stuck it out, they would have made it.  The
other 5 states heard were all S & P and never heard any from there calling.

DX heard but not worked ....  XE1RCS (I think that was the call, it was an XE
anyway) and PJ2T.  XE1 was loud but just could not do it.  PJ2T was right at my
noise level and my puny signal could not make it.

Seemed like the band wasn't in the greatest shape here.  I don't work 160 on a
regular basis except grabbing mults in the domestic contests however I have
seen it in better shape from here!

73 to all and GL to all the serious entries.  See you all next weekend from
W0AIH in ARRL SSB.

Ryan KB9OWD