[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE6TL SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE6TL SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:20:44 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:    1     1
   80:   15    12
   40:   42    30
   20:  832    84
   15:   89    26
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  980   154  Total Score = 452,760

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

Having had unusually good condx in the CW portion, I wasn't sure what to expect
for the SSB.  It ended up as a mixed result, in that 20m was really fantastic
and stayed open to Europe longer than I've seen in several years, but the other
bands didn't cooperate much (at least from my QTH).  10m and 160m were almost
complete washouts and 15m was quite disappointing as it had been improving for
some time.  40m had some early evening openings but I could only snag the KWs.
I did discover that some of the tough ones on 80m that I couldn't get with my
BigIR vertical, I was able to snag with my shunt-fed 40 foot tower with TH6 on
top.  The tower has fewer radials than the BigIR but they are all sort of
connected anyway.  Both are located in my back yard and have radials in a
semi-circle.

The best thing about this contest was that I hit an all-time personal high for
number of QSOs within a 24 hour period.  This was due to several great runs on
Saturday and Sunday morning with Europeans.  There were many stations running
5, 10 and 25 watts that sounded like big signals.  With such good condx to
Europe, it was surprising that 15m never opened up.  And with about 4 hours to
go I thought I was going to match the CW contest in not hearing/working a
single African station.  I did manage to work Senegal though (he called me) as
the only one!

I hope that folks update their check databases as having switched from VE6CNU
to VE6TL, I get a lot of questions on my call.  See you all in the next one.

Jerry, VE6TL

Rig:  FT-1000MP
Amp:  FL-7000 (about 400W)
Antennas:  TH6DXX (20-10), BigIR Vertical (All bands), Shunt-fed Tower (160/80)