[3830] ARRLDX SSB N6RV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kendrick.w@ca.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N6RV SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:24:50 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N6RV
Operator(s): N6RV
Station: N6RV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:    7     5
   80:   42    27
   40:   31    13
   20:  285    76
   15:  172    42
   10:   31     6
-------------------
Total:  568   169  Total Score = 287,976

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Flex 5000A
KT36XA @ 80 ft.
KT34XA @ 54 ft.
40/80 Loop @ 50 ft.
160 Shunt Fed Tower
Writelog

What a change from two weeks ago! 15 was barely open to Europe and no Pacific
on 10. Everyone was jammed into 20 meters and it was impossible to copy weak
stations! The Flex works well for S&P. I use the second VFO to tune in one
station while waiting for the current station. When done I flip the VFOs and
walk down the band working everything new. It works really well on a not so
crowded band. Phone contests are more tiring than CW. I had to sleep both
nights. Lost 3 hours each night. Took a nap for 1 1/2 hrs on Sunday after
things died down. Mostly S & P except I called CQ for about an hour and a half
on 15 which yielded several multipliers and amazingly a handful of Indonesian
stations. My only HL answered my CQ on Sunday. The demographics of contesting
is changing. The number of big stations have increased and the casual entries
as well as the small competitors seem to have fallen off. There are many
stations in my area that used to operate the contests now it is only a few in
Los Angeles. Next year will be better!