[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7IA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K7IA SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 20:12:14 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: A NM Canyon
Operating Time (hrs): 4:16

  160:
   80:    1     1
   40:   15    14
   20:   42    23
   15:   39    19
   10:   10     4
-------------------
Total:  107    61  Total Score = 19,581

Club:

Comments:

I'm not a phone guy--my ears don't have the bandwidth.  I spent most of the
weekend in the woodshop working on a large wall library--14 feet long.  But the
interest in current propagation kept pulling me towards the shack.

Couldn't make QSO with many DX ops because I couldn't make out their callsigns.
 Many of their .wav files were distorted and the callsigns were monosyllabic.  I
don't know how our East Coast guys pulled them out--TELNET spots?

10m had a few stations spread out over 150 kHz or so--perfect spacing for my
hearing bandwidth.

15m offered continuous activity and spacing as tight as it was on 20m only a
few months ago.

20m was pure bedlam, especially on Sunday afternoon.  Tuning across 20 and
looking for a copyable signal within the spatter made me think the main tuning
knob had lost its setscrew and was simply freewheeling without changing
frequency.  The entire band sounded the same to these old ears--time to turn
more wood into sawdust!

I tried 40m on a whim and was surprised to hear strong EU and JA signals--both
difficult to work on CW from our canyon QTH.  I was even more surprised by
their replies to my "give it a shot anyway" calls.

In general, SSB ops need to learn how to properly drive their linear amps--1000
watts spread out over 2.3 kHz is more effective than 1500 watts over 6-7 kHz,
even though the power meter "looks better" in the latter case.