[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6XR SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W6XR@frontiernet.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6XR SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:38:42 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6XR
Operator(s): W6XR
Station: W6XR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

  160:   18    17
   80:   53    38
   40:  125    60
   20:  246    90
   15:  202    74
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  645   280  Total Score = 541,800

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

It has been a long time since I really enjoyed a phone contest and this last
weekend reminded me of just why I don't like the mode anymore!  The equipment
was good except for the 160 Inverted L which had its bottom in six feet of
snow.  Given the choice of shoveling snow or just ignoring the snow was a
choice made rather quickly.  Other than the distraction caused by a high VSWR
on 160, it all worked well.

The propagation was not as good as it was on CW but I did have exceptional
openings to the Far East both evenings with really loud signals coming from
that part of the world.  The "runs" into Europe were fair at best but even if
the path was great, I wouldn't have done much running because I loathe the
practise as I get older!  During a run I fear for what I might say!

FYI, here's what makes the noise from the W6XR QTH.

Rig is a Orion II with a QRO 2500DX amp
antennas are wires on 160 and 80.  40 is a F12 240N at 90',  20/15/10 is a F12
C31XR at about 106'.  A modest setup designed for single op, one radio
contesting.

It's a bit sad to be approaching the end of yet another contest season because
it's apparent I'm getting older with slower reflexes and missing the desire or
ability to keep body parts in the chair.  You wonder if there are many more
years of contesting left.  Perhaps it's time to start preparing for the next
one in October.

73

Natan W6XR
Freeville, NY