[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1LN M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N1LN M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:32:53 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N4YDU, W4KAZ, NT4D, AA4FU, N4GU, N1YXU, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   74    43
   80:  193    71
   40:  622    98
   20: 1064   104
   15:  589   100
   10:   87    19
-------------------
Total: 2629   435  Total Score = 3,417,795

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It is a wonderful thing to experience the bands continuing to improve. Although
better than last year, the bands  did not seem as good as they were for the
ARRL-CW weekend.    However, that did not stop participation.   I think the QRM
Sunday on 20 meters broke the existing world record that was just set the day
before on Saturday.    Trying to find a run frequency after a band change or a
quick grab of a mult was next to impossible.  Even if you found a run frequency
it never lasted very long.   On Sunday we moved to 20 about 11:00 UTC and held
that frequency until about 13:30 UTC when the QRM was getting very heavy and
our rate started to slow down.  Then a W8 moved right on top of us. He
apparently could not hear us asking him to QRL / QSY.  Based on his rate, he
was fresh meat.   So, rather than continue to impact our rate and mistake
stations calling him for stations calling us, we jumped off for a couple of
quick mults and then began the search for another run frequency.  That is
pretty much how 20 meters was all weekend.

During CW weekend, 15 opened between 11:00 UTC and 12:00 UTC, but for SSB it
did not really open for us until almost 14:00 UTC both mornings.  Additionally,
the rates never really got up to where we expected them to be. Stations were
strong, but again, the QRM was so heavy, repeat requests greatlimpacted the
rates.   When the sun started to rise in Asia we turned the beams to 325
degrees looking for some good Q counts from Japan and some additional mults
from other Asian countries.  For us, the propagation on Saturday afternoon to
Japan was much better than on Sunday.  We were able to get simultaneous runs on
20 and 15 going from 21:00 - 23:00 and added about 140 JAs to the log. It was
also great to have HS, BX, VK, and ZL calling in at that time also.

We only had one or two short runs on 160 so we didn't spend much time there and
limited 160 band moves to either 15 minutes before the hour or when the action
on 75 slowed down.  Unfortunately, we never had a good 75 meter run either.
We would get a short bursts and think "finally", but it would die out and the
F1 key would get over used. Then there is 10 meters. Thank you South and
Central America.  If it was not for the additional mults I don't think that
band switch position would have been used.  The minutes per QSO or per Mult
ratio on 10 was way out of wack.  Perhaps by CQWW next fall we can get 10
meters back.

Top Five Country Q-Counts

Germany         234
Italy           229
Japan           198
Spain           132
Netherlands     118

All in all it was another fun weekend both on the air and off the air.  When
not operating the team enjoyed several college basketball games "GO DUKE" and
"GO WVA" as well as some relaxing time  and  conversations around the snack
table and meal table.

M2 is for sure my favorite entry class.   Congratulations to the other M2s for
their outstanding scores.

73,
Bruce - N1LN