[3830] NA Sprint RTTY W0YK HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY W0YK HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:23:52 -0800
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - March

Call: W0YK
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: W0YK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   40     1.5
   40:  115     4.0
   20:   74     2.5
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

This is a really fun contest ... almost as much fun as the CW Sprint.  We gotta
get more participants, though!  I'm convinced 400+ QSOs are quite feasible if
there were more stations to work.

An indication of how slow it was became clear when Fred, WW4LL, alerted me on
40 that he was CQing on 3586!  We quickly worked there, but how often do you
get QSY requests in a Sprint?

I was mildly surprised with all the JAs calling, plus a few BYs.  But what
really got my attention was that every one of them had the exchange down solid
and were very snappy about it.  Some of us could take lessons from our Asian
friends.

I guess we had at least 115 stations on if my 40 meter QSO total is valid.
That is on a par with previous Sprint participation, but intuitively it felt
like there weren't many stations on.  OTOH, there were a number of new call
signs.

What was with 80m?  The band was open for me all over NA, but hardly any
stations there.  20m was open a lot longer than there was activity, but I think
the limited stations that were on had all worked each other and headed for 40m.

There seemed to be a lot more confusion than prior Sprints.  Often, I'd get a
QSO started and find 1-2 other QSOs fire up on the same frequency with
sometimes two stations thinking they were working the same station.  Several
times I just skidattled away and started over.

Then, there was the W7 who was very loud, answered my CQ, but never gave me a
report.  After several attempts, I deleted the QSO and CQ'd again.  THEN, he
comes on and lectures me about not QSYing after our "QSO".  There wasn't a full
moon tonight, was there?

Remember the log deadline is 7 days.  Log checking will be done 24 hours after
that in order to meet the May-Jun NCJ publication deadline.  This is, after
all, a "Sprint".

Ed - W0YK