[3830] Commonwealth G0HVQ Restricted-12 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth G0HVQ Restricted-12 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:15:27 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: G0HVQ
Operator(s): G0HVQ
Station: G0HVQ

Class: Restricted-12 LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 9

------------
   80:   18
   40:   34
   20:   53
   15:   17
   10:    3
------------
Total:  125  Total Score = 2,905

Club:

Comments:

Equip: Icom IC7400, 100W, Hustler 4BTV (40/20/15/10), Cushcraft MA8040 (80)

I'm really kicking myself on this one! Was going reasonably well and on track
for a good score, but suffered an antenna failure on 15m overnight - SWR on 15m
was intermittently sky-high, resulting in me missing some African and Asian
QSOs. It was Mother's Day here in the UK so little chance of sneaking out to
repair it, so I gave up, but fortunately it made me QSY to 10m where I heard 5
x VKs and worked 2 of them, really pleased with that. Low bands were pretty
poor, a few ZLs, VEs and Caribbean on 80m but no VKs.

The antenna problem: I've converted my 4BTV to a "7BTV" with the WARC bands,
upon investigation I found the 17m parallel element wrapped around the main
vertical, we'd had no adverse weather so the problem looks like the result of
an overnight bird collision (I live in a rural location with lots of buzzards,
owls, etc.). If I'd known it would be such a simple fix I'd have done it in the
contest...oh well.

Great fun as usual, good to catch up with some regulars, see you all next
year.

73
Darrell G0HVQ