[3830] WPX SSB OG5B(OH5BM) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oh5bm@sral.fi
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB OG5B(OH5BM) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:14:53 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: OG5B
Operator(s): OH5BM
Station: OH5BM

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: SIMPELE
Operating Time (hrs): 35,5

------------
  160:
   80:
   40: 1263
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Heavy winter Ice load took the half of the feed element down on 40m 3 el yagi.
On Friday I went to the local Fishermen's Store and bought 8m classfiber
fishing rod, which I connected to the 2m aluminium tube and provided with 2mm
copper wire so the total length came 9,95m .
After that I climbed up to the tower to 44m level where I attached that new
"shiny" half of the 40m yagi feed element and measured the resonance - just on
7,1 as the Eznec said!
First night was not too good on propagation, and qso rate was very low as it
was during the whole contest. It was difficult to manage on the crowded band -
K3 and IC-7700 do not help if your neighbours signals are spread into your
receiving channel.
First I worked with IC-7700 as a main rig and listened the band with K3 if
there is new multipliers.
not too much help, because Win-Test's "Swap" command did not work as I
expeted.
I found second day propagation better than first day.
Antennas used were 3 el yagi 2 el yagi and Windom in a phasing box that I could
use all together or a single antenna or any combination like 3 over 2
or 3 and windom or 2 and windom..  That was helpful system.
main goal was to improve OH-40m record,and semms to be that it was improved.
On Sunday I worked with K3 and found it comparable to IC-7700 in real life in
spite K3 laboratory tets are better. In real life main trouble are those broad
signals. It is also the feeling where you are used to. I found 7700 background
noise quieter and audio sound more pleasant to my ears which are more used to
7700's sound. Also I have not yet familiarized myself with K3's myriad
tailoring possibilities . That is really a rig i woild like to carry on
DX-peditions - it is so light.
THANKS for Qsos to all of you! CU on next one.
Tapani, OH5BM