[3830] WPX SSB KK9A SOSB20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KK9A SOSB20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:52:57 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KK9A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2600
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

I had not operated the WPX Phone contest from the US in 8 years.  In fact I had
not used my US callsign in so long that I placed a note on my monitor with KK9A
written on it.  I really looked forward to operating this contest from my new
station.  My 50th birthday occurred on the first day of the contest and I could
not think of better way to celebrate.  My station is still under construction
and I had to run temporary cables on lawn chairs to the tower.  I set up a
radio and amplifier in the house and ran a temporary 240v wire for the
equipment.   Unfortunately I caught a virus on Friday, just before the contest,
which really had me feeling run down.  I almost did not start the contest, but I
decided to get on and give it a try anyway.   Somehow between the caffeine and
adrenalin I was able to put in a serious effort.  Afterwards, I paid the price
for not resting while sick and I spent a lot of time on Monday in bed.  The
contest went pretty well the first day, until the relay started going bad on my
amplifier.  I suffered with it for a while until I was able to take a short
break and set up a different amp.  After the amp problem, things were pretty
uneventful until the last four hours when a severe storm rolled into my area.
There were thunderstorms in the area, causing a lot of QRN, making receiving
difficult at times and there were also heavy winds along with a tornado
warning.   I could see the top of a white flowering Bradford Pear tree being
violently blown around just outside my second floor window.  I continued to
operate, hoping that the lightning would not get any closer to my unprotected
station and that a tornado would not touch down.   The weather conditions did
not get any worse and I was able to operate until the end, when I quickly
disconnected everything.  Conditions were pretty good for most of the contest
and even with the aforementioned problems, I had fun.  It is also possible that
this score will be a new regional record.  Thanks for the QSOs. Please QSL via
WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A / P40A
john@kk9a.com