[3830] WPX SSB KH7BB SO(A)AB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KH7BB SO(A)AB(TS) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 14:22:48 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KH7BB
Operator(s): KH7BB
Station: KH7BB

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) HP
QTH: Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 28

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  354
   20:  284
   15:  636
   10:  131
------------

Club:

Comments:

My first effort in a WPX contest. My boys, alex-11, Matt-WH7XM-13),
girlfriend(Ruth), and I got a small Mosley tribander up on a 20' extension
ladder an hour before the contest. That plus a dipole for 40M at 12' was all we
could manage. A couple hours in my Dentron MLA2500B emmited enough smoke to fill
the house - time to take a break... After inspecting the Amp I could find no
visual problems. Throwing caution to the wind I used the internal tuner to
match the dentron and antenna. My signal varied from ~900 watts to 2
watts(continuously) and everywhere in between. In addition a sticky relay
caused many recieved signals to be down 20db. Well I fought with the radio fro
a while and shut it down.

Took Saturday off and went diving with my extended family. I left the water
around 3pm local time and started again. The amp was particularly hard to use
on 40 so i called it a night early. Got up Sunday and set about on 10 and 15
meters. The bands were quite good and the balance of the contest was pretty
fun.

All in all just what it should be, good conditions, technical challenges, and a
decent score in the end. Sort of wished I had worked a bit harder, but that's
the game.

73 and Aloha

Carl KH7BB