[3830] FlQP K0RC SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0rc@citlink.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP K0RC SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:34:34 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   40:   32     10
   20:  322     45
   15:   22      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  376     55  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 29  Total Score = 154,560

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

The distance between Florida and Minnesota always provides very strong signals
on 20m. But when I turned the radio on Saturday morning, all the signals on the
band were really dismal, no matter where they were located! As others have
commented, the conditions improved as time went along. Fifteen meters was "on
the edge" all weekend with signals just barely audible.

I finished the first day with 66 of the 67 counties in the log. I only needed
LAKE county for my third year sweep. I wasn't too worried, knowing it was a
populated area and included the home qth of my friend Art, N4PJ.

But I did have a pretty good scare in the contest when I knew only one station
had posted MONROE county on their itinerary. When I located him, he was already
signing from the next county on his list! I was pretty bummed out because I had
heard Monroe was "alligator county" and not many people venture into that
territory. I took a break and went to sulk for a while. When I returned I
almost immediately worked two Monroe stations. That quickly reintroduced the
joy of contesting!

The next morning I logged two Lake county stations within the first ten minutes
of getting on the air. The remainder of the day was spent chasing all of the
mobiles and adding some multipliers on phone along the way. By the end of the
contest I had worked all counties three times, with the exception of St. John's
which relinquished only two contacts.

The top 6 counties were HIL(17), MRT(16), PAL(15), BRE(14), and HIG & PAS tied
with (13) each.

I ran my Icom 756 Pro III to a HyGain TH-11DX at 70 feet. On 40m I have two
antennas, a Telrex dipole side mounted at 66 feet and an wire sloping dipole.
Most of the time the vertical dipole provided stronger signals, especially from
the mobile stations.