[3830] 7QP K7L(K6LL) SOMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ll@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] 7QP K7L(K6LL) SOMixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 09:56:30 -0700
                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: K7L
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K7L

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: AZ YMA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:   67
   40:  173     254
   20:  118    1440
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  358    1694     0  Mults = 68  Total Score = 303,416

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I averaged 114 QSO's per hour for 18 hours - great fun!

I had about 300 fewer cw/dig qso's than last year, but 400 more on SSB, so the
score ended up about the same. Much of the time, the rate on SSB seemed to be
more than 1.5 times what I thought I could do at the time on CW, so I just
stayed on SSB. I never got to 75 SSB, because I would have had to go outside to
switch out the cw/ssb pigtail on the sloper. Maybe I missed a good bet there.

Just like last year, absorption was high on 20, so most received signals were
extremely weak. Big thunderstorms in the middle of the country added to the
background noise on all bands.

Last year I crashed the ARI contest on RTTY, and took flak for my high serial
number when the contest had just started, so I didn't mess with RTTY this
year.

40 SSB without broadcasters in the low end is GREAT! We need to remind
ourselves of the great achievement in moving BC out of this band.

A funny incident happened on 20 SSB. I had a great run frequency, but needed
take a bathroom break. A loud W7 called me, and I asked him to use the run
frequency while I hit the bathroom. It worked out well for both of us! I
forget
who the W7 was, but thanks!

N1MM worked great! All the last minute scoring changes worked perfectly. I
ended up using CTRL-N (notes) for most of the county line stations. I was
getting too flustered entering multiple Q's in real time, especially with
autostart cw enabled!

The K3's worked great, even with the audio amp blown in one, and seven buttons
not working on the other. I have to start fixing those this week, now that
there are no contests for a while.

Many thanks to the sponsors for making these QSO Parties a fun contest, and
thanks also for all the QSO's, especially the mobiles and expeditions.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ